Mike Ramirez boated a 12.3-pound doormat to win yesterday’s Raritan Bay Anglers Charity Fluke Tournament out of Perth Amboy while Manuel Prado had to settle for second with a 10.75-pound doormat. Fluke of 7.15 and 6.15 pounds followed, while fluke pro Dave Lilly managed to make a showing with a fifth place 5.45-pounder boated with Bryne Farmer.
The two-day Sandy Hook Bay Anglers Fluke Tournament has its 40th edition next weekend at Atlantic Highlands Municipal Marina. The July 15 captains meeting will be in the Senior Citizen’s Building at 10 p.m. For info call 732 787-4008.
- Jimmy Johnson’s Quest for the Ring Tournament was a big success last summer at Atlantic City, and will be running again this week after two days of registrations that started today.
- The final results of the July 4 World Cup Blue Marlin Tournament were topped by My Victoria with a 950-pounder from Cape Verde that was worth $628,000. The location wasn’t a surprise as the second largest Atlantic blue marlin ever was boated there by a South African angler this summer. The Big Blue Calcutta worth $550,000 went to Done Deal with a 586.5-pounder from the Gulf of Mexico.
- The Golden Eagle from Belmar picked at blues up to 10 pounds, but not enough of them before adding some sea bass.
- The Jamaica from Brielle has been chumming southeast of the inlet and catching lots of chub mackerel plus some sea bass. A 5-pound bonito was a pool winner.
- Capt. Ron Santee said it didn’t rain, but the swell came back and fluking on his Fishermen from Atlantic Highlands was terrible. That boat isn’t available on Monday.
- The forecast is for south winds of 5-10 knots which increase to 10-15 later.